This Hemp Heart Porridge is a power packed way to start your day. Loaded with healthy fats, fibre and protein, it will fuel you through your morning and it is a gut healing and ketogenic take on classic oatmeal.
Adding hemp seed to your porridge has a great wealth of benefits, hemp seeds are rich in healthy fats and essential fatty acids. They are also a great protein source and contain high amounts of vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc.
This keto ‘oatmeal’ with hemp hearts is a gluten-free breakfast that is easy to digest, will help to reduce inflammation in your body and will give you a great source of essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals to start your day. For an extra gut healing boost, you can also add some grass-fed collagen protein.
If you are taking more of a ketogenic approach, you can also add a dose of MCT oil to reduce sugar cravings and fuel your brain.
Why Should I Add Hemp Seed To Porridge?
Hemp seeds or hemp hearts come from the hemp plant. Technically, these seeds are considered to be nuts, they are safe to eat and contain only traces of THC the psychotropic chemical, that primarily is the psychoactive compound in cannabis which is known to cause euphoria.
Most people are concerned by the fact that any edible hemp products, comes from a cannabis plant. However, there is no reason for concern here as the hemp seeds that are sold for consumption have less than 0.5% THC and are completely safe to eat.
Hemp seeds contain a wide array of benefits that we can’t ignore, not only is it high in fiber, it’s rich in minerals like potassium, magnesium, and calcium, which is why it is known as a superfood.
Below are just a few of the benefits of Hemp Seeds:
- Reduces Inflammation – Hemps seeds are rich in gamma-linolenic acid, which is known to reduce inflammation, it is also suggested that this plant can assist in fighting the causes of diseases. It is able to aid in reducing allergies, eczema, chronic fatigue syndrome and depression.
- Rich in Antioxidants – Hemp seeds are found to have a high content of vitamin E and phenolic acid, making these super seeds an ideal choice for getting your dose of antioxidants.
- Source of Plant-Based Protein – Just 2 – 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds will provide you with 11 grams of protein. Hemp seeds are unique in that they provide protein while still managing to provide all of the needed amino acids to the body in order to maintain health.
- Aids Digestion – Hemp seeds contain a high concentration of fibre, this is ideal and vital in maintaining digestive health. They contain both soluble and insoluble fibre this provides the perfect balance in the body.
With benefits like these, it is no wonder hemp seeds are a superfood that has become a vital part of a good healthy diet.
What About Flaxseed?
Flaxseeds are tiny brown or golden colour seeds, we highly recommend using them in ground form for better digestion, as well as better absorption of nutrients.
Just 1 tablespoon provides a powerhouse of nutrients, it is no wonder it is being considered as a ‘superfood.’
Take a look at the nutrients you will get from 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds:
- Calories: 37
- Protein: 1.3 grams
- Carbs: 2 grams
- Fiber: 1.9 grams
- Total fat: 3 grams
- Saturated fat: 0.3 grams
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5 grams
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.0 grams
- Omega-3 fatty acids: 1,597 mg
- Vitamin B1: 8% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 2% of the RDI
- Folate: 2% of the RDI
- Calcium: 2% of the RDI
- Iron: 2% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 7% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 4% of the RDI
- Potassium: 2% of the RDI
Can we just pause for a minute to say “WOW!”
Predominantly though, flaxseeds are known for their source of omega-3, fibre and lignans.
Let us look at those three components a little closer:
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Flax seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acid ALA. These plant-based ALA fatty acids are known to have heart health benefits and are even linked to a lower risk of stroke.
- Fibre – Adding fibre rich ground flaxseeds to your diet regularly and improve your gut health and regulate bowel movements.
- Lignans – Lignans are an incredible antioxidant with oestrogen properties. They may be able to help in preventing breast and prostate cancer, as well as other types of cancer.
With so many impressive benefits of flaxseeds, we strongly encourage you to keep them as a regulate part of your diet, add them to smoothies, baked goods, sprinkle them over your morning breakfast or make our highly nutritious keto hemp seed porridge.
Here is the quick and easy hemp heart “oatmeal” that will leave you full and happy knowing you’re keeping your gut healthy.
- 2 cups unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 4 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup organic berries of choice (Optional)
- In a small saucepan, add all ingredients except the almond flour. Stir until well combined, then heat over medium heat until you bring the mixture to a light boil.
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond flour.
- Top with berries if desired and serve.
To find more recipes like this with meal plans, check out our Gut Heal & Nourish Program. Click here to learn more.