This is a salad that means business, it will leave you feeling full and happy!
'Wait, you mean a salad can do that?' Of course, it can, this keto friendly Bacon and Broccoli Salad with Avocado is loaded with good fats, protein and it is also high fiber, a recipe for a full and happy gut!
And, did we mention it is also low in carbs!
Here are just a few reasons to love this salad combo.
New research has shown that broccoli may help improve our gut health. In a study, researchers examined the effects of broccoli on genetically modified mice with digestive disorders similar to colitis—a common long-term problem that affects many people. The team found that the mice who ate a diet supplemented with broccoli, compared to those who just ate from their regular diet, were able to better handle their digestive intolerances. Although the research was done on mice, it may have some implications for humans.
“The addition of cruciferous vegetables will activate the Ah receptor in your gut and help maintain gut homeostasis." ~ Gary Perdew, a professor at Pennsylvania State University.
Avocados are a good source of dietary fiber, with 11% dietary fiber per 1/3 serving or 50 grams 30-40% of which are prebiotic fiber. Avocados also are a healthy superfood with good fats and contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
To have a healthy gut, you need to have a good balance of bacteria. To do that, you need to add both prebiotic and probiotic foods.
Without further ado here is the recipe. I hope you love it!
2 cups of broccoli, core removed and finely chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
4 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
1/4 red onion, diced
1 large ripe avocado, diced
For the Dressing:
½ a lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
¼ teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- Firstly, put the broccoli in a bowl and pour over boiling water, to lightly blanch for 5 minutes, then strain all the excess water. This makes the broccoli slightly tender and gives it a bold, vibrant color.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the broccoli, bacon, red onion and celery
- In a separate bowl, combine the avocado, and dressing together. You can either lightly mix and leave the diced avocado as is for texture. Or you could mash it together to make a sauce.
- Spoon out the avocado mixture and stir into the broccoli salad
- Chill the refrigerator for about an hour, or serve as it, slightly warm.
- Be sure to serve this salad within a couple of hours.
This salad can be enjoyed as a light meal for 2 or serve it as a side salad for 4 people.