This Beetroot and Goats Cheese Salad with Mint is beautifully refreshing, light and reminds us of summer.
It is perfect as light lunch, perhaps accompanied with our Bacon and Kale Egg Muffins or served as a side dish with dinner.
Have you ever wondered why it is important to eat your beets?
Here are just a few reasons:
- Beets are High in Fiber and Nutrients – Beets are known to be high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium these are essential for healthy nerve and muscle function, while also containing manganese – which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas. They contain the B vitamin folate, which helps reduce the risk of birth defects.
- Boost Your Energy Levels — If you need a boost, beetroot juice may prove valuable. The benefit is thought to also be related to nitrates turning into nitric oxide, which may reduce the oxygen cost of low-intensity exercise as well as enhance tolerance to high-intensity exercise.
- Fight Inflammation — Beets are a unique source of betaine, a nutrient that helps protects cells, proteins, and enzymes from environmental stress. It’s also known to help fight inflammation, protect internal organs, improve vascular risk factors, enhance performance, and likely help prevent numerous chronic diseases
When shopping for beets, instead of purchasing them already prepared and leaves removed, why not buy them completely whole – leaves and all. Add those leave to this salad, or any salad for an added health bonus.
So, you may be wondering why?
Well, research has shown that beetroot greens may:
•Help ward off osteoporosis by boosting bone strength
•Fight Alzheimer’s disease
•Strengthen your immune system by stimulating the production of antibodies and white blood cells
Another great thing about beet greens is that you can add the leaves to a smoothie, juiced or cook them (the way you would, your spinach).
Get creative and enjoy this beautiful Beetroot and Goats Cheese Salad!
6 medium beetroot, peeled
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Himalayan salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 cup shredded fresh mint
150 g baby salad leaves
200 g goats cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- On a large baking sheet, set a large sheet of aluminum foil and place the beets over one half of the aluminum sheet. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and salt. Fold the aluminum sheet in half and fold the three open edges to enclose the beets.
- Roast the beets for 45 minutes, or until tender when pierced. Let the beets rest for 5 minutes, then remove skins, cut each beet into slices or quarters.
- In a large bowl, toss the beets with the balsamic vinegar and wholegrain mustard and set aside to cool completely.
- To make the salad, place the mint, salad leaves, crumbled goat cheese and olive oil in a bowl and toss to combine. To serve, divide the salad on serving plates, and top with the marinated beets. Drizzle with a bit of the balsamic vinegar-mustard mixture. Serve and enjoy!