Crepes, we can’t help but love them!
Did you know that crepes can be healthy too? These Beetroot & Cassava Flour Crepes with Sauteed Mushrooms, are a combination of healthy and delicious!
They are savoury and make a great lunch or dinner meal, especially if you pair it with a side salad and some slices of ripe avocado.
We know the sound of crepes can be daunting and maybe even sound time-consuming, but this recipe is everything but that!
They simple to make, flop proof (even if the first 1 or 2 don’t come out right, it’s ok because that’s normal), and they are also so good for your gut.
These cassava flour crepes also contain beetroot – either juiced or grated, this gives them there beautiful vibrant color, and when it comes to fruits and vegetables, eating those colours are a good thing!
To find out more about the goodness of beetroot, check out our recipe – Beetroot and Goats Cheese Salad with Mint.
There is also cassava flour in these crepes, which is that all-important resistant starch. Have you heard of this before?
If not, read our article: What Is Resistant Starch? (And Why You Should Care).
Should I Eat More Mushrooms?
The great thing about mushrooms is although small, they are high in fiber and protein. They are also a great source of selenium – a powerful antioxidant and vitamin D.
Ergothioneine is another powerful antioxidant that mushrooms contain, it is effective in providing protection from free radicals as well as boosting the immune system. Free Radicals are dangerous compounds released during the metabolic processes of cells, they drift throughout the body and can cause significant damage.
Mushrooms also contain natural antibiotics (similar to penicillin), which hinder microbial growth and other fungal infections. These same polysaccharides, beta-glucans, can stimulate and regulate the body’s immune system which can also help protect from developing infections. They also contain a good combination of vitamin A, B-complex, and C that strengthens the immune system.
So in answer to the question, Should I Eat More Mushrooms? Yes, by all means.
Enjoy this recipe, make it for family and friends, we promise it will ‘WOW’ them.
Beetroot & Cassava Flour Crepes W/ Sauteed Mushrooms (Resistant Starch, Gut Healing)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 - 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes+
- Yield: 4 - 6 1x
- Category: Light Meal
- Cuisine: Crepes
For the crepes:
3 medium free range eggs, room temperature
4 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
¼ cup grated beetroot or beetroot juice
½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
¾ cup cassava flour
2 cups almond milk
Additional butter or coconut oil for frying
For the mushrooms:
2 cups mushrooms – mixed, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
Pinch of crushed black pepper
Splash olive oil
For the pesto:
2 tablespoons pine nuts or almonds
1 big handful basil
1 big handful of baby spinach
1 garlic clove
Juice from ½ a lemon
1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
Crushed black pepper
Splash olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
1 tablespoon tahini
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Ripe avocado, cubed
To make the crepes:
- In a bowl, beat eggs on medium-high until pale yellow and fluffy.
- Add butter, salt, and cassava flour, and beat on low speed to combine.
- Add milk, one cup at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Heat a lightly buttered pan over a medium heat.
- Pour a ladle of the batter onto the pan and tilt it with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly and thinly.
- Cook the crêpe for about a minute, until the bottom is cooked and can easily be loosened with a spatula.
- Turn the crepe over and cook the other side.
- Repeat, until all crepes are done.
Now cook the mushrooms:
- Add the oil and mushrooms to a small pan, fry on a medium heat for a few minutes until soft and browning slightly.
- Turn off the heat and season well.
For the Spinach Pesto:
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and well combined.
- Store in an airtight glass jar in the fridge and use as needed.
- Add all ingredients to a jar and shake well, until combined and a creamy dressing is formed.
Assemble and enjoy.