Just hearing the word ‘tacos’ puts a smile on almost everybody’s face and we just leveled up with these delicious plant based Jackfruit Tacos!
Jackfruit makes an incredible plant based replacement to shredded meat.
If you haven’t heard of it before, you must be wondering “ok, but what on earth is Jackfruit?”
Jackfruit comes from the same family as figs, mulberries, and breadfruit. Its origins stem from the South of India, Sri Lanka as well as a few other Asian countries.
While this fruit has a reputation for its pungent aroma when ripe, canned young jackfruit is very mild in its flavour and scent and it has been deemed the “vegetable meat.”
The great thing about tacos though is you can really put anything you like in them…
Some of our favourite topping options are:
- Pickled red onion
- Fermented Jalapenos
- Shredded purple cabbage
- Fresh herbs like coriander and mint
- Roasted peppers
- And salsas of your choice
Get creative and see which combo you enjoy most!
We hope you enjoy these plant-based jackfruit tacos as much as we do.
Don’t forget to tag us in your pics on Instagram.Print
Jackfruit Tacos with Cassava Flour Tortillas
For the jackfruit:
2 cans green jackfruit in water or brine, drained, rinsed, and chopped
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
½ cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon agave or honey
½ lime, juiced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon salt
For the tacos:
Cassava Flour Tortillas recipe
1 avocado, sliced
¼ red onion, thinly sliced or pickled
¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
Pico de gallo (tomato and onion salsa)
- To prepare the jackfruit: Cut the jackfruit into thin slices from the core to the outer edge. This will break up the tougher core area and make for the perfect shredded texture. Note: Do NOT discard the core or seeds, they are totally edible, and you are just wasting precious jackfruit!
- To make the shredded jackfruit: Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions have softened and begin to brown.
- Add the prepared jackfruit, broth, agave, lime juice and all the spices mix well and cover with a lid. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the jackfruit softens a little, and the liquid is reduced to about ½ the amount. About 5 minutes.
- Now using a potato masher, and smash the jackfruit to get that shredded texture. (If you find it a bit wet, just cook a little longer. If you find it a little dry, just add a splash more vegetable broth.)
- Make the Cassava flour tacos according to the recipe.
- To assemble the tacos: Add a scoop of the jackfruit to your cassava tortillas, and top with an avocado slice, a scoop of pico de gallo, some red onion slices, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.