Jackfruit Tacos with Cassava Flour Tortillas
For the jackfruit:
2 cans green jackfruit in water or brine, drained, rinsed, and chopped
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
½ cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon agave or honey
½ lime, juiced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon salt
For the tacos:
Cassava Flour Tortillas recipe
1 avocado, sliced
¼ red onion, thinly sliced or pickled
¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
Pico de gallo (tomato and onion salsa)
- To prepare the jackfruit: Cut the jackfruit into thin slices from the core to the outer edge. This will break up the tougher core area and make for the perfect shredded texture. Note: Do NOT discard the core or seeds, they are totally edible, and you are just wasting precious jackfruit!
- To make the shredded jackfruit: Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions have softened and begin to brown.
- Add the prepared jackfruit, broth, agave, lime juice and all the spices mix well and cover with a lid. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the jackfruit softens a little, and the liquid is reduced to about ½ the amount. About 5 minutes.
- Now using a potato masher, and smash the jackfruit to get that shredded texture. (If you find it a bit wet, just cook a little longer. If you find it a little dry, just add a splash more vegetable broth.)
- Make the Cassava flour tacos according to the recipe.
- To assemble the tacos: Add a scoop of the jackfruit to your cassava tortillas, and top with an avocado slice, a scoop of pico de gallo, some red onion slices, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.