I came up with this easy pho recipe as a healthy version of one of my all-time favourite food memories.
I travelled through Vietnam in my early twenties and still remember coming across a street side restaurant that served this yummy noodle soup. It was the only thing they made, and they made it very well!
Pho or Phở (pronounced variously as fa or fou) is a Vietnamese soup consisting of broth, noodles, fresh herbs, mung bean sprouts and meat, primarily made with either beef, chicken or tofu for a vegetarian option.
This recipe has those same beautiful authentic Vietnamese flavours as well as the healing properties that come with the bone broth, fresh herbs and spices used.
It is also gentle on the gut, gluten free and low carb as zucchini noodles replace the traditional noodles. Although you could also use organic rice noodles if you prefer.Print
Gut Healing Pho with Zucchini Noodles
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Soup
Pho is a beautiful clean broth that leaves you feeling great. This recipe is quick and easy, and no doubt a crowd pleaser.
For the Broth:
- 6 cups bone broth
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 onions (peeled and halved)
- 4 – 5 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (peeled and smashed)
- 1 thumbsized piece of fresh ginger (roughly sliced)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 whole star anise seed
- 250 grams grass fed sirloin steak (thinly sliced)
- 400 grams zucchini noodles
- 1 cup button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup spring onin (sliced)
- 1 green chili (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup corriander (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup holy basil leaves (torn)
- 1 lime (quartered)
- Organic Sriracha (to serve)
- In a large stock pot, add in beef bone broth, as well as the other bone broth ingredients.
- Bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and let broth simmer for 30 minutes.
- Slice beef into very thin slices. Set aside in the refrigerator to keep cold until ready to add to the broth.
- Strain the broth and discard the solids. Return the broth to the stove to keep warm.
- In four soup bowls, prepare each serving by adding in zucchini noodles to the bottom.
- Top with pho broth and add in 5-6 raw beef slices.
- Top each bowl with desired amount of herbs, vegetables, sriracha and chili. Serve immediately.