Dare we say our Persian Orange Cake is an all round winner!
It's a perfect tea time treat, filled with the aromas of orange, rose water, ground pistachio, and honey, and because it contains only natural sweetener from the fruit and honey this sugar-free Persian orange cake is suitable for a variety of diets and health programs.
The best part about this Persian orange cake though is that apart from being delicious it is also 100% guilt free!
Filled with ingredients that are wholesome and gut healing such as cassava flour which is a resistant starch, you can read more about this in our article What is Resistant Starch (and why you should care).
Apart from the cassava, there is almond flour, honey, citrus fruit, and pistachio making our orange cake deliciously gluten-free.
So next time the family and friends come over, wow them with this delicious, guilt-free dessert.
Why We Love Cassava Flour
A Persian orange cake filled with goodness, but we just want to concentrate on one ingredient we love - Cassava Flour.
Cassava is grown in tropical climates and is known as a root vegetable and is commonly used along with potatoes, carrots, and radishes. When dried and made into a flour, cassava can be used as a gluten and grain free flour substitute in many recipes.
The Benefits of using Cassava Flour
Here are just a few of the amazing health benefits Cassava has to offer:
- Aids in Digestive Health - As a resistant starch Cassava doesn't get digested in the small intestine, but instead passes through into the large intestine and creates a good source of food for good bacteria to thrive. Cassava also contains fiber that is not water soluble, meaning it is able to absorb toxins in the intestines. This all improves and strengthens overall gut health.
- Eases Inflammation - Cassava contains saponins which break down organic body wastes like uric acid, it also cleanses mineral deposits from your joints and helps balance your gut flora.
- Rich in B Vitamins - These include folate, thiamin, pyridoxine (vitamin B6), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) and riboflavin (vitamin B2). In general, these vitamins are vital for our health they help in preventing infections and help support or promote cell health and the growth of red blood cells.
- Low G.I - As a low-GI food, cassava can improve physical endurance because blood glucose levels are moderated instead of dropping when insulin is produced. Low-GI foods also may help control triglyceride and other lipid levels in your blood. Cassava is known as a weight loss food due to its ability to decrease appetite and decrease fat storage in fat cells.
Where Can I Buy Cassava Flour?
Generally, you should be able to find cassava flour at your local health store or you could order it online. We use iherb, their organic cassava flour comes in two sizes:
- California Gold Nutrition Superfoods Organic Cassava Powder 16oz
- Or if you use cassava frequently as we do, opt for Ottos Naturals Cassava Flour 32oz
Having said all of the above... it is still cake, and as such should still only be eaten on occasion as a treat and not for breakfast (well maybe sometimes).
I hope you enjoy this Persian Orange Cake, make sure you let us know what you think in the comments 🙂Print
A beautifully fragrant Persian inspired orange cake, filled with the scents of orange, rose, honey and pistachio.
For the Filling:
3 large eggs, free range
1 cup almond milk
2/3 cup raw honey
2 tsp rose water
1 cup ground pistachios
1 cups almond flour
1 cup cassava flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder, gluten-free
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Topping:
1 orange, zested
½ cup juice from remaining halved fruits
3 tbsp raw honey
- Rinse the orange and place them in a pot. Cover with water and simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- Once soft, remove the orange from the pot and place in a blender. Blend for until the oranges have formed a puree.
- To make the ground pistachios place them in a coffee grinder or food processor and grind until there are no chunky pieces and everything has ground down to a fine powder.
- Preheat oven to 180C/375F. Grease an 8-inch loose bottom cake pan
- In a bowl combine the orange puree, eggs, honey, ground pistachios, almond flour, cassava flour, vanilla extract, and baking soda. Pour into the greased cake pan
- Bake for 1 hour. If the top begins to brown too quickly, cover with tinfoil. The cake will be done once a cake inserted into the top comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, in a small pot combine 1/2 cup citrus juice with 3 tbsp honey and allow to reach the boiling point before reducing the heat to simmer. Allow simmering until the amount of liquid has reduced by approximately half. Remove from the heat and set aside until the cake has come out of the oven.
- Once the cake is out of the oven, brush the orange and honey mixture over the entire surface. Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen before unclasping the outer ring.
Keywords: Persian orange cake, sugar free orange cake, orange cake gluten free