Who doesn’t love granola! It’s a quick breakfast on those busy mornings. The only problem is, what we at times think is healthy often has a lot of hidden ingredients, that aren’t so good for us – refined oils, sugars, gluten, and grains.
Alas, we have good news. This Coconut & Chia Seed Granola is everything you need!
It is simple to make, contains wholesome, unrefined ingredients your gut with love, and it is also great for those busy mornings where breakfast needs to be quick and easy!
This granola is great served with unsweetened kefir or coconut yoghurt and fresh berries or seasonal fruits. You could even sprinkle it over your favourite smoothie for some added texture and fiber.
Why does our gut love Chia Seeds?
Chia seeds are an incredible powerhouse of nutrients, omega-3 fat, antioxidants and they’re high in fiber.
Just a 28 gram serving of chia seeds contains:
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are omega-3s).
- Calcium: 18% of the RDI.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDI.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDI.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDI.
- They also contain a decent amount of zinc, vitamin B3 (niacin), potassium, vitamin B1 (thiamine) and vitamin B2.
Because chia seeds are high in dietary fiber, they benefit bowel regularity. The rich fiber in chia seeds also helps us feel more full quicker because it absorbs a considerable amount of water and immediately expands in the stomach when eaten, which could explain why chia tends to curb hunger and keep us fuller for longer.
When chia seeds are consumed they create a gelatin-like substance in the stomach. This gel-forming action is due to the soluble fiber in chia seeds, and it can work as a prebiotic that supports the growth of probiotics in the gut.
3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
1 ½ cups sliced almonds
1 cup shelled raw pumpkin seeds
½ cup sesame seeds
½ cup raw sunflower seeds
½ cup Medjool dates, roughly chopped (optional)
2 tablespoons chia seeds
¾ teaspoon Himalayan salt
½ cup honey
1 teaspoon Molasses
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°F/180°C.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine coconut, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, salt in a large bowl.
- Heat a medium saucepan and add honey, molasses, olive oil, and vanilla, stirring occasionally, until hot and easy to pour. Pour it over the coconut mixture and combine well. Spread mixture evenly on prepared baking sheet and bake, stirring once halfway through, until golden-brown and crisp, about 25 minutes.
Granola can be made 1 week in advance
Store tightly covered at room temperature.