This is an amazing thirst quencher. Perfect for those warm days when you need to stay hydrated and healthy. This cooling aloe vera and cucumber juice
If you have aloe vera growing in your yard, even better! If not, don't worry, you can often purchase pre-cut leaves at your local market.
We will take you through the steps on how to prepare the leaves and harvest that beautiful healing aloe vera gel, and will fill you in on some of its benefits to our health.
You simply need only three ingredients to make this juice - aloe gel, cucumber and 100% pure coconut water.
Blend it all together on high speed, until well combined. Then you can strain the juice to remove any cucumber pulp.
Pour the juice into a glass, add a few ice cubes if you like, some sprigs of fresh mint and sip away.
How to Harvest Aloe Vera Gel
First of all, don't let the title intimidate you. Getting the gel out of the aloe leaves is easy and really, it takes no time at all.
Here are 3 tips to note before making the gel:
- The best leaves to get are the older outer leaves, they will contain more gel. Then remove the leaves, cut them off at an angle at the base of the plant.
- Stand the cut leaves upright in a glass for about 10 minutes, this will allow the dark sap to drain out. This sap contains latex which can irritate the digestive system, so it is important to make sure you drain it out first.
- Make sure to clean your hands before removing the gel, any impurities can spoil the gel.
Your aloe gel can easily last up to 1 week if you keep it in a clean jar, in the fridge.
Uses for Aloe Vera Gel
The uses of aloe gel are many, and they go much further then just using it to soothe a sunburn.
Here are some ideas of what Aloe Gel can be used for:
- Helps to clear breakouts - Aloe vera gel is great used as a skin cleanser, it contains salicylic acid and other antiseptic components that will kill off the bacteria that can cause acne.
- Soothe irritated skin - Aloe is packed with minerals, enzymes, antioxidants, and vitamins A, C, and E, everything the skin needs to strengthen its barrier. It also contains polyphenols, which appear to protect against skin cancer and free radicals that age the skin. Apply the gel to the irritated area.
- Apply to minor wounds - On top of being an antibacterial, aloe has properties that also reduce inflammation, while also being hydrating. A study showed that aloe vera was able to speed up the rate of healing for minor burn wounds.
- Aids in weight-loss - Aloe contains vitamins and minerals that contribute to weight-loss, as well as amino acids, enzymes and sterols. Drinking aloe vera juice will improve the body's absorption and utilisation, this means it improves overall health as well as weight-loss success.
- Aids digestion - Drinking aloe vera juice will soothe and cleanse the digestive tract while helping boost digestion.
Health Benefits of Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera belongs to the succulent family and is thought to have originated around 6000 years ago from the country of Sudan.
It thrives in hot, dry climates, and needless to say this makes it
Above we touched on some of the great uses of aloe vera, now lets take a further look at some of the succulents incredible health benefits:
Aids in Gut Health
This is because Aloe Vera can help regulate your waste excretion cycles in the many ways you may need. It is also able to remove bad bacteria (aka Gut Dysbiosis) inside your gut which in turn promotes a healthy digestive system.
Due to aloe vera's antibacterial properties, it has been shown to have anti-parasitic and anti-microbial properties. In fact, it has it is considered purgative on parasites.
Besides the aloe gel being great for supporting gut health, there is another part of the plant that is especially beneficial for constipation. This part of the plant is known as barbaloin, which is found particularly in the younger leaves of the Aloe Vera.
Studies have shown that barbaloin has been found to help ease the excretory function of the digestive system, due to its laxative properties. Meaning that it has the ability to help intestinal muscles contract which would result in an easier bowel movement.
Boosts Immune System
Aloe Vera juice has been known to have natural detoxifying components that will clean the circulatory and digestive system.
The Aloe Vera can improve the body’s nutrient levels within cells. This means the increase in nutrients makes cells healthier and will ensure that the body is able to fight infections by having a strengthened immune system.
Aloe Vera is also rich in antioxidant properties that can help protect the body from free radicals caused by stress, environment, pollution and so forth.
We know you must be thirsting to try this Aloe Vera and Cucumber Juice, so we won't keep you any longer!
We hope you enjoy this thirst quenching, gut healing recipe as much as we do 🙂Print
2 aloe vera leaves
1 cup 100% pure coconut water
1/2 a cucumber, skin removed and roughly chopped
- Cut the aloe vera leaves into halves lengthwise, then using a spoon, scoop the translucent gel out, and add it to your blender, together with the coconut water and cucumber.
- Blend on high until well combined, strain the liquid to removed cucumber pulp, and drink the refreshing liquid straight away, with some fresh mint if you like.