550g oxtail pieces
500g marrow bones
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
2 large carrots, diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
1 can of organic chopped tomatoes
2 cups bone broth
2 bay leaves
A bunch of fresh parsley
A bunch of fresh basil
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- The first season and fry the oxtails in a hot pan with a little coconut oil, so that you seal the outside until golden brown. We repeated this process with the marrow bones as well.
- Put the oxtail and marrow bones into a slow cooker or an ovenproof casserole dish if you are not using a slow cooker.
- Now back to your pan that had the meat in it, keep it on the heat and add the chopped celery, garlic, onions, carrots and herbs. Saute until the onion is translucent.
- Now pour in the bone broth and chopped tomatoes, this will deglaze the pan nicely and bring it to a simmer.
- Once the liquid begins to simmer pour it into the slow cooker or casserole pot and slowly cook for 5-6 hours until the meat is super tender and falls off the bone. If using the oven, cook on low heat of around 100 - 150ºC.
- Serve on a bed of sweet potato mash or cauliflower rice and sprinkle with any remaining fresh herbs.