For the Chicken Pot Pie Filling:
2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter or coconut oil
½ cup broccoli florets
½ cup baby spinach
¼ small onion, diced
¼ tsp Himalayan salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
¾ cup coconut milk
1 cup chicken bone broth
¼ tsp fresh rosemary
pinch fresh thyme
2½ cups cooked chicken, shredded
¼ tsp Xanthan Gum
For the crust:
4½ tablespoons of butter, melted and cooled or olive oil
2 tablespoons coconut flour
3 tablespoons almond flour
2 tablespoons full-fat sour cream/coconut milk
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1⅓ cup grass-fed cheddar cheese or mozzarella, shredded (optional – omit for dairy free)
- Sautee onion, mixed veggies, garlic cloves, salt, and pepper in 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil in an oven-safe skillet for approx 5 min or until onions are translucent.
- Add coconut milk, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, thyme, and rosemary.
- Sprinkle Xanthan Gum on top and simmer for 5 minutes so that the sauce thickens. Make sure to simmer covered as the liquid will evaporate otherwise. You need a lot of liquid for this recipe, otherwise, it will be dry.
- Add shredded chicken.
- Make the breading by combining melted butter or olive oil, eggs, salt, and sour cream or coconut milk in a bowl then whisk together.
- Add coconut flour and baking powder to the mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in cheese.
- Drop batter by dollops on top of the chicken pot pie. Do not spread it out, as the coconut flour will absorb too much of the liquid.
- Bake in a 200C oven 20 min or until golden.
- Serve with your choice of sides – roasted veggies or a crisp salad.