For the Crust:
1 cup cassava flour
¼ cup almond flour
¼ cup erythritol
½ tablespoon lemon zest
3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, softened
For the Filling:
½ cup erythritol
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 cup almond milk (or choice of plant-based milk)
½ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 tablespoon grass-fed gelatin (optional)
1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely zested
5 large free range eggs, beaten
For the Topping:
- For the Crust: Heat oven to 180°C and prepare a 9×9 inch pan, grease with butter or coconut oil. In a large mixing bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, and lemon zest then stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Cut the softened butter or oil into the flour mix with a fork. Or use your hand and crumble the mixture.
- Press the dough into the prepared baking dish and bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- For the Filling: Bring a saucepan to medium heat and add butter, erythritol, lemon zest, gelatin if using and milk. Stir until the butter and sugar have been completely dissolved.
- Pour in lemon juice. Be sure to use a strainer if you are using freshly squeezed juice!
- Slowly whisk in the eggs and stir continuously over medium-low heat until the mixture begins to thicken. This should talk about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the lemon filling into your crust and return to the oven for 15 minutes. Prepare the topping.
- For the Topping: Sprinkle shredded coconut on your lemon squares and refrigerate until set.
- Serve chilled