200 grams salted butter, room temperature and cubed
½ cup erythritol or xylitol icing sugar (powdered)
1 ¾ cups all Purpose gluten free flour (or try our mix – 1 cup of almond flour, ½ cup cassava flour, ¼ cup coconut flour)
¼ cup white rice flour
- Add the butter to a large bowl along with the icing sugar. Using an electric hand beater, beat the mixture until all the sugar has been dissolved and the mixture has turned light and creamy.
- Add in the ¼ cup of rice flour and ½ a cup of the gluten free flour mix at a time and beat thoroughly to combine.
- It may become a little bit harder to work with, this is normal. Now add the rest of the gluten free mix, be sure that it is mixed in well. The dough should come into a ball at this stage. If it is still way to dry a crumbly add a splash of cold water (just a dash though, your dough needs to be firm.)
- Once your dough comes together to form a ball, move it to a large piece of greaseproof paper. Sprinkle a tiny bit of flour over the top and roll out to approximately 5mm thick, turning it over gently as you go. Slide the whole lot onto a baking tray and prick the dough all over using a fork, then pop straight into the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
- Whenever you’re ready to bake the shortbread heat your oven to 180ºC and transfer the cookie tray straight from the fridge to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the edge of your shortbread very lightly starts to turn brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
- Enjoy with a hot cup of herbal tea.
- Calories: 155
- Sugar: 0.1g
- Sodium: 5%
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2g
- Carbohydrates: 10.5g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 1.4g